For small businesses, deciding where to spend your marketing dollars is serious business. You want to generate new leads while engaging your current customers, but you need to make sure that the digital marketing tactics you are using are cost-effective and drive results.
Although email marketing has been around for a while, it continues to drive significant results for small businesses across the country. Even with the rise in popularity of other marketing platforms like social media, email marketing is still one of the best tactics that brands can use to reach and engage their target audience. Below, we’ll cover the top 25 of the benefits of email marketing and explain how they can help your business improve lead generation, conversion, and revenue.
Benefits of Email Marketing
The benefits of email marketing include:
- Permission-based – your marketing list will be made up of people who have actively chosen to receive emails from you. Customers who are genuinely interested in your products and/or services are more likely to engage with your business.
Flexible design – you can send plain text, graphics or attach files – whichever suits your message best. A choice of design options gives you scope to convey your business branding.
- Scalable – email marketing can be used to reach large audiences or smaller targeted lists.
Personalisation and segmentation – with email marketing you can personalise messages. You can also segment your marketing list, so that your customers receive messages from you that they are interested in – this will help boost their engagement with you.
- Shareable – it’s easy for people to forward and share your email content, building your reputation by word-of-mouth or viral marketing. This may help influence new customers to become followers of your brand.
- Conversions and increased sales – if you have a new promotion people can click on links and follow your call-to-action immediately. Email marketing is also effective at every stage of the buying process. For example, you can influence someone to choose your product, nurture the customer relationship post-transaction and also encourage future purchases.
- Measurable – you can evaluate the success of a campaign by using web analytics software. You can easily test different copy, subject lines and designs to see which is most effective. This allows you to optimise future campaigns.
- Benchmark – you can compare your results against others in your industry. There are many free email marketing benchmarking reports available – you will find these by searching online. Benchmarking data can help you to evaluate and prioritise improvement opportunities.
- Test before you send – A/B testing of subject lines, calls-to-action, personalisation, email copy, images or messages ensure your email content is as effective as it can be before you send it.
- Less intrusive – unlike telephone marketing, recipients can read your message at a time that suits them.
- Cost- effective – the costs of email marketing can be much lower than many other forms of marketing. There are no advertising fees, printing or media space costs.
- Environmentally-friendly – email marketing is better for the environment than direct marketing by postal mail because nothing is printed.
- Time-saving – through automation you can trigger emails to be sent to customers based on an action they have performed on your website – eg. send a welcome email when a user signs up to your website, or issue an email offering a discount incentive if user abandons an online shopping cart. Once you have developed a template you can reuse for numerous email campaigns.
- Real-time marketing – through email marketing you can connect with customers in real-time. Using automated triggers, such as website activity, recent purchase or shopping cart abandonment, you can reach the right audience, at the right time, in the right place and with the right offer.